Go Back   Nodiatis Forums > Nodiatis Forums > General Discussion > Nodiatis Discussion & Suggestions
Forgot?

Revamping the Auction House
Old 08-11-2009, 11:40 AM   #1
Chonwaen

Default Revamping the Auction House

The auction house is currently a not-too-bad place to buy stuff that people want to sell. However, there should be a revamp of the entire system. I suggest the implementation of Buy orders as well.

An example of this would be for TCs
Selling
Time Card - 109,000 (Castille)
Time Card - 112,000 (Stronhad)
etc

Buying
Time Card - 110,000 (Stronhad)
Time Card - 109,000 (Stronhad)
Time Card - 105,000 (Castille)
etc

This would allow at least 4 things, none are bad imo.
1) folks who want to buy an item that isn't listed can effectively post a WTB without spamming the boards or civil.
2) People who are craftsmen can place a buy order for components they need or want for their projects, effectively allowing the general player population to supply that player.
3) gives craftsmen an idea of what the players want, thereby giving them the opportunity to craft and sell more quickly to meet demand.
4) players can theoretically make (or lose!) gold by trading from town to town, distributing items from towns of high supply to high demand.

In order to keep player spamming of the buy orders to a minimum, there should be an assessed goblin fee of 1% rounded up. This means that a buy order for 1 gold would cost 2, a buy order for 100g would cost 101g, and a buy order of 1015g would cost 1026g to set up.

A new skill should be implemented with this as well: Purchasing.
Each lvl (or however many lvls for balance) increases the number of max buy orders by 1.

The maximum quantity for a buy order should be tied to that player's item stacking skill.

The player making a buy order must have at least 1 storage slot free when making the order. That slot would then have a B icon placed over it indicating that it is locked until either the order is filled, or the player cancels the buy order.

Buy orders should initially be limited to what can be bought or sold in stores (base equipment, resoruces, and base crafted goods) in order to facilitate a quicker implementation of the Buy Order system. Modified weapons, and enchantment gems unfortunately would add a whole other level of complexity to this system. If Glichless wants to add modified equipment or gems to this system later, all the better. However, that shouldn't be a top priority.

If you made it all the way thru this wall o' text, I would appreciate any feedback! Thanks!

Old 08-11-2009, 01:00 PM   #2
Sporky
Gem Pouch Expert

i like it

maybe they could add this when they do offline selling, and make them both able to be done while offline

Old 08-11-2009, 01:32 PM   #3
doctor-warlord
Auction Master

Send a message via AIM to doctor-warlord Send a message via MSN to doctor-warlord Send a message via Yahoo to doctor-warlord

sounds like an interesting way of making it easier to get items that are really sought after and arent in auction most of the time

Old 08-11-2009, 03:20 PM   #4
Emperor006

Very good suggestion, though I don't see why it should be linked to an Adventure skill: I would tie it to Salesmanship, instead.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:44 PM   #5
Sho

Thumbs up

Like the option for the WTB AH...

Old 08-12-2009, 08:16 PM   #6
Chonwaen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor006 View Post
Very good suggestion, though I don't see why it should be linked to an Adventure skill: I would tie it to Salesmanship, instead.
The Purchasing skill would be a social skill, not an adventuring skill. However, the linked limitation for quantity would mean that a player cannot purchase more items in a single buy order than that player can stack in a normal slot. I just don't want to see people purchasing a stack of 200+ items in a single buy order.
That is, unless you think a better suggestion would be to have a buy order lock out {QTY ordered/max stack size} rounded up storage slots instead, and then if someone wants to purchase 200 items with an item stacking skill of 15, that single order will lock out 10 storage slots. I think the max quantity=max stack size would just be simpler.

BTW, I cannot claim full credit for the idea, as I have been an Eve-Online player for a long time, and this would merely make the buy/sell system for the auction house more similar to the local markets in that game. I just took the idea and Nodiatis-ized it

Last edited by Chonwaen; 08-12-2009 at 08:30 PM..

Old 08-12-2009, 10:07 PM   #7
Sho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chonwaen View Post
I just don't want to see people purchasing a stack of 200+ items in a single buy order.
Why restrict this? If i trade from someone that has something in AH and it is in a stack larger than what i can handle it still goes into my storage/inventory in the larger stack. I just cant move it or do anything to it until it has been lessened to my skill...

Old 08-13-2009, 06:59 PM   #8
Chonwaen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sho View Post
Why restrict this? If i trade from someone that has something in AH and it is in a stack larger than what i can handle it still goes into my storage/inventory in the larger stack. I just cant move it or do anything to it until it has been lessened to my skill...
One good reason would be Item Hoarding. If there were no limits on a WTB stack, a player could theoretically buy up all available quantities of a given item, and thereby more easily create an artificial inflation of said item by turning around and placing an arbitrarily high markup within the Sell portion of the AH. This would be especially true for players who are willing to Sell TCs for enough game gold to facilitate this, causing a major disadvantage for folks with more modest RL means. For rarer items this could likely occur anyhow with players with high item stacking skills, but it would lessen the impact on more common commodities. Larger stack advantages should go to players who have played longer and trained the appropriate skill(s), not who have the deepest rl pockets.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:03 PM   #9
sherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chonwaen View Post
One good reason would be Item Hoarding. If there were no limits on a WTB stack, a player could theoretically buy up all available quantities of a given item, and thereby more easily create an artificial inflation of said item by turning around and placing an arbitrarily high markup within the Sell portion of the AH. This would be especially true for players who are willing to Sell TCs for enough game gold to facilitate this, causing a major disadvantage for folks with more modest RL means. For rarer items this could likely occur anyhow with players with high item stacking skills, but it would lessen the impact on more common commodities. Larger stack advantages should go to players who have played longer and trained the appropriate skill(s), not who have the deepest rl pockets.
I don't know anyone who would waste money doing that.

Not to mention it could be done this very moment.

All someone has to do is go in the AH and buy every item, I have yet to see this happen.

I am going on a limb here and saying that maybe people don't want to waste their money on such a trivial thing.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:26 PM   #10
Kerrlahg
Gem Pouch Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
All someone has to do is go in the AH and buy every item, I have yet to see this happen.
I've seen it happen, never effectively though. People often buy cheap TCs on AH to resell at a higher price for small profits. I've seen people buy all of the same type of rune to raise them to a uniform price so they have a chance at actually making more then 5g. These type of things happen very often and is proof that it could be exploitable.

On that other hand, I say **** it. I don't care if someone wants to attempt to monopolize a specific item. If they can succeed then obviously the market could stand the higher price.

I say if Jeff wants to implement a WTB AH, then he should do so without worrying about ruining the game's economy. If a problem appears down the line, then patch it. I believe it would be impossible to completely predict economic effects of such an update in our little economy, there are too many outside factors. Attempting to completely future proof an economic update is not only futile, but hilarious.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:17 AM   #11
Chonwaen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
I don't know anyone who would waste money doing that.

Not to mention it could be done this very moment.

I am going on a limb here and saying that maybe people don't want to waste their money on such a trivial thing.
Perhaps you are right, but can anyone SELL an amount greater than his item stacking skill in a single sale in the AH? Its more so about balancing the effects as well.

Another idea, separate but related that occured to me as well:
Correct me if I am mistaken, but if a player sells a stack of items in the AH, a buyer must buy the whole stack, or none of it.
If this is true, then there should be a change made in the way the mechanic works.
Sellers should have to enter a per item price for their sale, and a qty sold. The seller could then either enter a portion of the stack for sale, or just hit <stack> to sell the full stack.
If you are buying, you would then enter the quantity of that stack you want to buy (from 1 to <stack> for the full stack) The purchaser gets the exact quantity of that good he wants, the remainder stays on auction (with that reduced quantity shown) until its depleted to 0, or the seller cancels his auction.

This would allow more flexibility for buyers who can buy just the right amount of a particular good, and more efficiency for sellers who can sell a larger stack of that same good with the expectation that his order will be gradually depleted over time.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:42 AM   #12
sherman

Your idea was mention before Chonwaen. It is a good idea, and I do not recall if it was accepted or rejected by Glitchless.

However, Kerrlahg has a point. There should not be any attempt at "correcting" the tiny economy that is Nodiatis.

Also, there shouldn't be any patches for it in the future, the community should be willing to correct the economy on its own, and should not rely on some greater force.

In any event, the WTB AH feature is a great idea and should not be restricted on the amount someone could buy. The feature to purchase only a partial amount of a stack should be implemented to allow for more ease of use in the AH.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:27 AM   #13
Chonwaen

So to summarize:
WTB feature - player approved
Ability to purchase/sell partial stacks - player approved
Limiting buy stack size - player rejected
Incorporating these features into offline trading - player suggested

OK, I know I can live with this!

Now, the only question is: Will Glitchless implement these features?

If you'd like to, quote this message with a thumbs up or down so we can get a player voting consensus on this!

Last edited by Chonwaen; 08-15-2009 at 11:30 AM..