Go Back   Nodiatis Forums > Nodiatis Forums > General Discussion > Nodiatis Discussion & Suggestions
Forgot?

Magician/caster advice needed
Old 08-09-2009, 11:08 PM   #1
Bobo

Default Magician/caster advice needed

I'm having fun so far with my build but I'm getting beat in every duel I participate in with someone at my level. So this makes me think that I'm not maximizing my character.

I'm hopeful that some experianced casters can provide input on how I am doing and guidance as to what I should be focusing on. Any and all logic and thoughts from experiance are welcome! I just don't want to get to a high level and realize that I didn't prepare for something that I should have.

Here is what I have done so far for my level 15 Magician

Stats:
Melee - 14
Magic - 24
Defense -14
Recoery - 10
Class En - 9

Questions about my stats:
1) Should I be leveling Melee at all? Some people say yes and others say no. I'm completely lost as to what to do in that category. I'm also confused about what level everything should be at in relation to each other.

2) Which attributes do I raise for each stat? Right now I'm being reactive. Meaning that if I am getting resisted on my spells, I then put more into Concentration. I do the same with the others.

Skils:
Critical Strike - 15
Overcrit - 15
Two Handed - 15
Suiting - 15
Combat Recovery - 8

Green Magic - 9 (for healing gems)
Red Magic - 17
Staves - 15
Sleight of Hand - 10
Destruction - 12
Blue Magic - 15
Wizardry - 15
Gem Handling - 10

Beast Mastery - 20 (for healing pet)

questions about my skills
1) Should I be keeping all of my skills that are important to me at my same level?

2) Am I missing any skills or have any listed that aren't important?

3) I do a decent amount of damage with my staff, should I keep building my melee stats and skills or as I become higher level does the importance of melee damage get less?

Thank you in advance!

Old 08-10-2009, 12:03 AM   #2
Ehlmaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
Stats:
Melee - 14
Magic - 24
Defense -14
Recoery - 10
Class En - 9

Skils:
Critical Strike - 15
Overcrit - 15
Two Handed - 15
Suiting - 15
Combat Recovery - 8

Green Magic - 9 (for healing gems)
Red Magic - 17
Staves - 15
Sleight of Hand - 10
Destruction - 12
Blue Magic - 15
Wizardry - 15
Gem Handling - 10

Beast Mastery - 20 (for healing pet)
My thoughts... note, I don't have a caster so they can likely tell you better. Anyway...

Melee: This is important. I suggest raising Str, Dex and Pst evenly.
Magic: Also important. I'd suggest 2 into Int, 1 into Cnc. Avoid Mst.
Defense: Agi and Cnt need to be at your level 105+your level. I wouldn't worry about Dur.
Recovery: Don't worry about this either, IMO.

Skills:

Weaponry/Protection: What you're leveling now looks like about what you need. Throw Impedance in there as well, though. Also raise Parry.

Magic skills: As I'm not a caster and don't remember the Magician class bonus atm, not sure which school would be best for you. I suggest focusing your damage spells in a school that uses Energy more than mana due to PST being higher. I know White magic uses energy most, at least for heals. There's usually one gem color per group that uses energy, one for mana. Overall though your magic skills seem good.

Beastmastery: You're good.

Hope this answers your questions. I believe it does... I'd shoot for 100 Melee, 100 Magic, 79 Defense, 1 recovery at level 70. Melee is still important, even at higher levels - both for Pst, and the extra damage from the staff doesn't hurt. Any skills you use should be kept at your level.

Any actual casters wanna weigh in?

Old 08-10-2009, 02:39 AM   #3
Hopilus
Epic Scholar

= has a caster, contact me in game on Hopilus, and i can help you out
The war is waged, the battles are fought, the Angels and the Demons vow that none shall be left standing. Compassion, never to be seen on the battlefield, one lone angel left standing at the battle's end, sword against her foes throat, tears in her eyes, for her fallen comrades and the slain enemies around her, staring into the eyes of the last demon, lowers her sword, a single act of compassion and mercy, never to be forgotten.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:46 AM   #4
Nosebatter

Quote:
Should I be leveling Melee at all? Some people say yes and others say no. I'm completely lost as to what to do in that category. I'm also confused about what level everything should be at in relation to each other.
Level Melee. Focus on Str in the beginning as you can’t rely on gems as your single source of damage then. PSt becomes more and more important though. Can’t give you an exact Str:PSt ratio, it depends on what you want. If you want a pure caster, redistribute all melee points into PSt when you feel is the time (I’d say never before level 40).

You didn’t mention black or white magic (both need energy mostly), but it’s recommendable to level one of the 2 because casters easily have much more energy than mana. White has strong instant heals and fast HoTs, black has the strongest energy-based DDs. Both have great defensive auras and energy-based DoTs.

Quote:
I do a decent amount of damage with my staff, should I keep building my melee stats and skills or as I become higher level does the importance of melee damage get less?
Staves can deal a good amount of damage all the way, but at the cost of a smaller energy pool. (see above)

Quote:
Should I be keeping all of my skills that are important to me at my same level?
Try to keep your staves skill and the skill for your DD color(s) at the level of the mobs you're fighting, because if they are lower your damage and (with staves) hit ratio will be reduced. Apart from that, magic skills don't have to be at your level and shouldn't be above (waste of xp).
It helps me to set clear priorities in advance. I usually neglect skills that are merely "helpful" like divination or wizardry until one stack of trophies gets me whole skill level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehlmaris View Post
Avoid Dex. The “to hit”-ratio is influenced by Str as well, so the only thing you need Dex for is parrying, which isn’t worth it imo.

Quote:
Don’t avoid MSt. As a magician, you will want to use red gems, which require a lot of mana later on. However, try not to have more mana than you need. A good routine to find out how much MSt is necessary: Level perseverance (unlocks at level 20) and Mana Vault (level 40). If your mana bar is still consistently lower than your hitpoint bar at the end of battles, raise MSt. Else raise Int and Cnc (what Ehl said: 2 Int and 1 Cnc, because red DDs require high Int to be effective).

Quote:
Defense: Agi and Cnt need to be at your level 105+your level. I wouldn't worry about Dur.
Level Dur. Agi as you see fit (I ignore it and get along fine). If you decide to use discourage and incidental redirection gems, then you can neglect Cnt as well.

Quote:
Use regrowth and Mana/Energy bursts instead of recovery. For staff-wielders, click to use gems tend to be more effective than the continual ones. And you will want the extra gem slots for recastable DDs and flare up (and other auras that suit your build and/or magic prevention).

Old 08-10-2009, 08:47 AM   #5
sherman

Quote:
My thoughts... note, I don't have a caster so they can likely tell you better. Anyway...

Skills:

Weaponry/Protection: What you're leveling now looks like about what you need. Throw Impedance in there as well, though. Also raise Parry.

Magic skills: As I'm not a caster and don't remember the Magician class bonus atm, not sure which school would be best for you. I suggest focusing your damage spells in a school that uses Energy more than mana due to PST being higher. I know White magic uses energy most, at least for heals. There's usually one gem color per group that uses energy, one for mana. Overall though your magic skills seem good.

Beastmastery: You're good.

Hope this answers your questions. I believe it does... I'd shoot for 100 Melee, 100 Magic, 79 Defense, 1 recovery at level 70. Melee is still important, even at higher levels - both for Pst, and the extra damage from the staff doesn't hurt. Any skills you use should be kept at your level.

Any actual casters wanna weigh in?
Melee: Only put points into str and pst

Magic: Depending on if you use DDs or DOTs you would have to change your stat distribution. DDs need more or even amounts of INT as compared to CNC. If DoTs more CNC as compared to INT. Don't forget to put a few points (5-15) into MST. Later levels will allow you to increase your mana pool without using stat points.

Defense: Kind of depends on what you want. I have heard from people that 150 CNT is enough, with high enough impedance, to resist a good many magic attacks. Now, I would suggest a 2 DUR 1 AGI point distribution and occasionally some points in CNT until you reach 15 +/- 5.

Recover: Ignore this stat.

Stat build: You can use the typical build, or you can experiment. Personally I would go a 79-100-100-1 build for more defense and focus more on gems than staff damage.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:55 PM   #6
doctor-warlord
Auction Master

Send a message via AIM to doctor-warlord Send a message via MSN to doctor-warlord Send a message via Yahoo to doctor-warlord

I would suggest reading some of all the caster guides already on forum as all the help you will need can be found in those

Old 08-11-2009, 06:14 AM   #7
Ehlmaris

So I wasn't TOO far off.. Thanks to the casters for throwing in better assistance than I could provide!