Go Back   Nodiatis Forums > Nodiatis Forums > General Discussion > Player Guides and Help
Forgot?

Let's 'kickstart' nod
Old 05-19-2016, 05:28 PM   #1
Nomicon
Crab Defiler

Default Let's 'kickstart' nod

Hai all, as first topic back I'd like to start a thread to brainstorm ideas on how to attract a larger player base to the game.

I think we can all agree that more people playing will help the in-game economy, arena competition, and fill clan rosters to make sure RP donations are flowing. I've wanted to make a post like this for quite some time, but with the permanent departure of one of the oldest members of our community, it seems like now is more appropriate than ever.

Over the last 6 months I have gone through the growing pains of starting a clan from scratch, a clan targeted at new players so I am starting to see patterns with a lot of the new players trying out nod the first time, and the difficulties of running a clan

What ive learned:
  • Nod has roughly a 3-7% retention rate (new players who make it to cap)
  • The players that do stick around abandon starter clans for high level ones as soon as possible
  • Nod tends to attract younger players, 13-16ish looking for a free game both girls and guys
  • Many new players have significantly slower toon progression and quit around lvl 20-30ish, they get 'stuck' around here
  • A constant complaint is not enough RRT. This what i hear most from new players.
  • Having friends in a clan, significantly increases chance of player sticking around
  • Running a clan is a major PITA, aside from the social drama that occurs from time to time, finding the runes, collecting RP, keeping track how active members are etc. is very time consuming and difficult, and there are not really a whole lot of controls to help you out

Game suggestions
  • Build more social aspects into he game, such as 3 man dungeons and/or quests that require a group to complete with appropriate rewards
  • Make certain zones, or hotzones, more beneficial to farm as a group. I spend 90% of my time in game farming by myself, im cool with that but i think a new player could get lonely.
  • Offer quarterly account upgrade promotions for new players. eg, free premium, grinder, DA, for a month etc.
  • Allow earning of virtues through quests or level progression. maybe you can unlock a virtue at 25. 50 and 75.
  • Some sort of "good karma" system. If there is a reward or bonus for capped players to help out a new player, and the new player can vote or award that player for helping them out, it will promote a more friendly and helpful community overall. Say every 5 karma pts you get grants you 5% gold bonus for a day, something like that. Watch how fast people will jump to help a new player then...
  • Start associating accounts. Allow account owners to designate sitters, and grant them permissions such as trading gold etc. Nova had significant troubles with lavapool, he literally had like 15 toons in the clan trying to run scams, and there was no way for us to know who he was.
  • Help new players get to cap faster with player achievements. If the player is low level, has been in a clan longer than a week maybe give the toon an extra hour RRT every 10 levels, or 10 bosses killed. It takes years to fully develop a capped toon so making it painful on the way up is not necessary IMO.

Clan improvements
  • Officer/master/veteran flags. New players should be able to hover over a toon and know who they are speaking to so they can ask for help and know who they should be showing respect to.
  • Rune uptiering. Finding runes is brutal. It really is.
  • Disciplinary options such as imposing RP fines for bad or abusive behaviors. Have the fine be taxed out of the players account into clan RP, just like normal clan tax, even of the toon quits or switched clans. Lavapool stole tons of gold from new players in our clan, I was able to make him pay back some but not all of it unfortunately, a master should be able to do more to protect his members.
  • Add a status msg for players such as "on holidays" "sick" "working next 2 weeks" etc so that a master can see what is going on with who from a glance at the clan roster online, or sending the toon a pm.
  • add a "last date logged" on the clan roster. It's always a pain to figure out who to kick when a new player wants to join
  • Add some sort of "loyalty" bonus for clan members that increases with the length of time in a clan to discourage clan whoring

I know some of the suggestions I made here are exploitable in some cases, but the bottom line is this:

This community is notoriously stubborn when it comes to change.

Yet for the game to grow, Nod needs to change.

It might mean making it easier for new players and giving them advantages that we never had in order to get them hooked. Furthermore gameplay changes that promote teamwork and assistance to each other would not only help new players stick around, but the old dogs get along better.

Last edited by Nomicon; 05-20-2016 at 12:17 PM..

Old 05-19-2016, 05:49 PM   #2
Darklords
Rare Collector

I really have to say support! on most of these things, nod needs more to do as small groups or even large scale pve such as 5 man dungeons or the such maybe tempers could be implemented in that was also from the pve side.

i personally wanna see nod grow more, were loosing people by the month and there isnt enough fresh blood to fill the gaps there needs to be something to draw and keep new people around for the long term.

currently all u do is non stop kill stuff, there needs to be more. maybe timed quests or the such reach t2 from t5 in under 10 mins to gain 5x advent exp. or just something else in general.

But i do agree we need something to change!

Broke 4k pet crit :O Buff BM nao!

Old 05-19-2016, 06:23 PM   #3
Sanlucifer
Epic Scholar

Send a message via MSN to Sanlucifer

I like all that i read and i support it.

My soul is continually in my hand: yet do I not forget thy law.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:14 PM   #4
Smashbros
Epic Scholar

Support from me as well. We need to have new people in the game and keep them around.

Also, in future, maybe next year after the main patches for this year are done, a complete clan over haul. Re do the entire system so its more user friendly and more involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitchless View Post
However you want to spin it, buddy. This patch was specifically designed to somehow screw you over.

Quote:
Tell that to the crybaby archers
Quote:
We are well aware of the over-dramatic reactions to game changes in an effort to skew perception. It doesn't work, just makes them look like cry babies.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:16 PM   #5
Blaze
Boss Hunter

Going by the dots from game suggestions and below:

1 & 2) I personally dislike group farming but guess this would be interesting for them.
3 & 4) we all know these won't happen :{
5) could be abused but that seems like quite a hassle so support overall.
6) what you suggested won't happen. Glitch tolerates sharers but no way he'd actually do patches to make sharing more efficient. Would be nice to be able to bind accounts together via email tho. One time only to avoid exploiting. Could let accounts bound to same email trade SB items between them. (Know that won't happen :{ )
7) support. At least he added rested time to quests.
8 9 11 12 & 13) support.
10) pretty easy to abuse. I'd support disciplinary things like mute in clan chat for x number of hours tho.

My own clan suggestion is actually do something with spies. They already exist yet have little to no purpose besides for toonsharers to have toons in social clans without others knowing qq

Old 05-19-2016, 07:17 PM   #6
flipynifty
Epic Scholar

Send a message via MSN to flipynifty

tldr support!

omg i wanna sammich nao

Tina Fey Tina Fey Tina Fey Tina Fey

Old 05-19-2016, 07:52 PM   #7
Lakki
Gem Pouch Expert

I think it would be cool if the hot zones gave a little bit of RRT as a bonus as well. also if beasts gave us an option for EXP bonus if you aren't capped, would be nice for new players to level up too.

Designated sitters seems cool, don't see why it would be an issue. Glitchie added an account log so you could see what had been traded and what not. you'd let the person log your toon, but they would only be able to do certain things, like " farm at the great dam boss" or something like that. Or is this too close to botting? i don't know....

the Karma system seems alright, although i'd like to see mentor quests. quests that allow low level players to group with higher leveled players to level up a bit, say until they reach level 20 or something.

Something does need to change though, at level 20-30 people just leave. I've witnessed it, starting up the clan with Nom for the past 8 months. the game becomes too much for many players at level 20-30, maybe, just maybe 40. I've honestly tried helping many, giving a TC for standard to some every now and again, or giving advice, or a stack of trophs, gear, hell even stoning some of their gear. it just doesn't work, they all leave at level 20 ish. giving a TC or so does get them to stay longer, but the game is unbearable as a free account, low level toons cannot make gold ( unless they sit or have a job) to buy TC's. as mentioned earlier, OLDER PEOPLE ARE NOT JOINING NODIATIS! its teenagers who don't have jobs. even some middle schoolers, even though ToS minimum age is 13 or 14. we still do get middle schoolers...

Only certain kinds of people play nodiatis, i've tried the whole recruit method, and i don't have many friends in real life who are classical style gamers, they like CoD, and shiny graphics lol. Usually are gamers who don't have money for that matter..., and without cash this game is pretty much (now) impossible to get anywhere in. ( without) the sitting of higher leveled toons. its just impossible! there's no incentive for new players even doing arena, they get a 1-3x temper for getting their butts handed to them 3000 times? i mean Glitch, you gotta admit that's some damn admiration right there... we all saw the toons like Tipcrys, Cuhntastick, and Fattynoob the last solo arena.

as far as clans, helping some of the newer players, them seeing the runes are mediocre, and them leaving for the top clans is somewhat frustrating, but we do this because we want more players IN this game. I could give up the whole clan and helping new players business right now, but for what? it doesn't help the game at all. there was even a time a few months ago I encouraged OTHER players to join the clans such as BLOOD,tical,stats,plain,OtCtst,GUIDE,aztec, Zombe, etc.

Reason i stopped for a month or so was due to IRL things at the time, I was playing this game for HOURS and HOURS and HOURS on end trying to improve my toon, help my clan, and help newer players. after whats happened with Wpack recruiting about 25% of LoOny and SYNOD, i'm well aware that any players who join our clan will probably just be a stepping stone towards better clans like LoOny, Synod,Merc, Wpack,stats, etc. there's a lot of competition which is good now, but there is no reason for them to stay long in a clan like NOVA. The loyalty is disheartening, but as long as the loyalty towards the game is a considerable option, i'm fine helping them all, if that means they will stay. P.S. WE CANNOT DO THIS ALONE! think about it Glitchie, THINK ABOUT IT.

Sorry for my rant ~ Lakki.

Last edited by Lakki; 05-19-2016 at 08:22 PM.. Reason: we can't do this alone :S

Old 05-19-2016, 08:10 PM   #8
Rupaul
Crab Defiler

Support.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:11 PM   #9
UnitheUnison
Neophyte

I support dis!

Old 05-19-2016, 08:16 PM   #10
Davross
The Eldest Pilgrim

Some really good ideas in here definitely worth exploring more glitch.

[

Old 05-19-2016, 08:25 PM   #11
Olvan
Gem Pouch Expert

Send a message via AIM to Olvan

Support!!

I know some of this for one reason or another may not be implemented cause of exploitation but over all many great ideas and shows Nomi put a lot of thought and effort into this. It shows how much he cares for the game too and I feel his pain, esp over clans, I am sure many that run a clan and deal with the pain would also agree.

Thanks for the attention to this post in advance Glitch.

Under the weight of a dark and barren land that lays before me, bearing the guilt and shame.

The invisible chains bind the soul tight, words slip away from parted lips.

Fighting to escape the blackness only to wonder back into its empty embrace.

Anger will only make the beast grow stronger, denial makes the fire of rage burn hotter.

Dance the dance of the eternal slumber, void of all life's great wonders.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:58 PM   #12
Nomicon
Crab Defiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakki View Post
i'd like to see mentor quests. quests that allow low level players to group with higher levelled players to level up a bit, say until they reach level 20 or something.
This is a great idea lak, it'll motivate younger toons because they will see how strong the OP older chars get, while simultaneously levelling em up.

Old 05-20-2016, 03:33 AM   #13
Akilthedestroyer
Seer's BFF

All good points pointed out by Nomicon, and apart from the ability to toon sit for others, it all has its major advantages which would surely help retain the players that do play

Old 05-20-2016, 05:28 AM   #14
Imriel
Boss Hunter

Definitely a few gems in here, some real food for thought!

Old 05-20-2016, 05:33 AM   #15
USAViper2127
Rare Collector

I support this. I have played a few different games and one in particular comes to mind to help with the account sitting issue. The game let you "account sit" on a player, but it was for a limited time. The player that was going to be sat had to set up the sitting in game. No passwords were given away. There of course were restrictions on access as well. Major trades between the 2 players was shut off, you cannot force kill anybody, ect. This could be implemented, and should be fairly simple. I'd say, let a higher level give to, but not receive anything from the toon.

Something else that might be interesting on this portion would be maybe a screen sharing type thing where a max level player has the ability to take temporary control of the new toon to show them the basics of the game. I remember when I was starting out, I ran through the tutorial without reading it...I'm sure I wasn't the only one. My questions were always answered in chat, but now it seems we have a dwindling community.

Another thing, I believe that being able to become a helper in the game should be an earned privilege. There was another game that I played that did this. You can earn bonuses for having this title, or maybe have a ranking system in place. The higher the rank the more you earn. Like rank 1 helper would earn 1% more gold, rank 2 would earn 2% more, rank 3 gets 4%, ect. Not every player should be able to vote. Only players with new toons would have that opportunity. If the player has any other toons above level 20, they are not allowed to vote.

Old 05-20-2016, 05:53 AM   #16
raist
Crab Defiler

First of all thanks to Nomi and lakki for the reading material and the thought you put into it.
King did an awesome job numbering points unlike Nomi...
supports:
1) 3 man dungeon for lower lvls
2) mentor quests for lower lvls
3) group farming bonus zones (changes with resets)
4) earning virtues with leveling (used to be very cheap TCs and reasonable to farm gold for them in low lvls to get virtues, no longer the case now, they need a boost)
5) last date logged (for clan activity tracking)
6) clan loyalty bonus (maybe personal +1 rank to actual rune effect)
7) personal request:
some "yellow" distinction for C1/C2 for Clan battles, I find myself fighting and killing people for nothing trying to get terr. for 1 clan and victims only give for the other

Old 05-20-2016, 06:34 AM   #17
Enduir
Auction Master

Support most of this, except toon-sharing and sitting is out of control and half of Nod needs a kick up the arse for doing it. Cheaters!

Quote:
You won't be warned again.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:00 AM   #18
Claudia
Rare Collector

well... When Lakki first asked me to read this i thought it would be just another whine post... i read all of it and i must apologize for the original thought. This is well thought and well put into words. I would like to see most of this set up, my favorite is the mentor quests and the disciplinary measures for clan masters. Also on top of my list is the away message for toons that haven't logged in a while, i'm sick, or working too much or something like that would help a lot.
What i was thinking a while back but could not find the time to put it in here was that if new players started with a standard account until they reach level 10 - 20 that may get them to keep up with Tcs and able to sell their stuff on AH as opposed to the store. In order for this not to be exploitable, the toon must be completely new, linked to a unique email and IP. If they log from a computer that already has a toon over the "standard level" they can not trade with that account.
The virts being kinda cheaper would help new players that can't afford TCs for 1.xx mil gold just to buy a virtue. Also individual virtue purchase would be nice for lower levels too, since most of them can't spend 2 Tcs at a time.

the TLDR version: I fully support this thread and most of the ideas in it .

I hope t see it happen sometime in the future.

Old 05-20-2016, 12:06 PM   #19
Nomicon
Crab Defiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAViper2127 View Post
Like rank 1 helper would earn 1% more gold, rank 2 would earn 2% more, rank 3 gets 4%, ect. Not every player should be able to vote. Only players with new toons would have that opportunity. If the player has any other toons above level 20, they are not allowed to vote.
This is what i was envisioning for the karma system, some sort system to reward players for helping each other out, maybe u aren't most op toon in the game and advanced player but you can still earn rewards for simply being a good member of the community.

For instance maybe after 10 angel saves, u suffer no loss of rrt on your next death, allowing you a free try on a high level boss or something

Last edited by Nomicon; 05-20-2016 at 12:20 PM..

Old 05-20-2016, 12:09 PM   #20
Blaze
Boss Hunter

Glitch has stated before nod is f2p as is and has no plans to ever offer a temporary newbie bonus such as standard for a couple weeks or anything. As virts also take tcs I'm fairly sure he'll use same response there as nod is already f2p.

http://forums.nodiatis.com/forums/sh...light=standard

That wasn't the thread i was looking for but cba searching all the terms to find the thread since idr who made it. If anyone is bored enough to it was an idea thread aimed at free trials to new players. Glitch and me are only people I can remember in the thread.

Only way new players are getting a starter tc is if us rich caps decide to be charitable. With how many rich players there are it's be pretty easy to make it a reality but not many are quite so giving as me and lakki. Iirc dtm also has a tc starter pack?

Last edited by Blaze; 05-20-2016 at 12:13 PM..