Wizardry
Old 10-16-2011, 02:38 PM   #1
tygerwulf
Boss Hunter

Default Wizardry

I just wanted to clear it up, because I have been getting mixed answers, so if I could get an official Glitchless answer, that would be great.

For the wizardry skill, does the "with a staff" apply to both the 40% initial bonus, or does it apply to the .4% per level as well? In other words, can you get a .4% haste per skill without a staff?

A clarification would be appreciated.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:51 PM   #2
Revanche
Boss Hunter

Send a message via MSN to Revanche Send a message via Yahoo to Revanche

Agreed. There are number of skills with this particular ambiguity that could use clarification.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:34 PM   #3
FastStang
Seer's BFF

This is staff only, non staff users get only the bonus of added gem pouches at levels 10 and 50.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:27 AM   #4
Jadakris
Temporarily Suspended

^ What I was led to believe aswell.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:18 PM   #5
Oneangel
Rare Collector

.4 also is for melee and ranged just not the extra 40 %, if i dont use staff i def draw faster than alts with lower wizzy

Do you have angel wings when your blood runs dry; that make my tears incarnadine, when I start to cry? - Sigha

Old 10-18-2011, 09:42 AM   #6
Darkdingus
Rare Collector

^Nope. The 0.4 isn't for anyone but casters.
Read the skill description again

Old 10-19-2011, 09:29 PM   #7
tygerwulf
Boss Hunter

This is why I asked for an official reply. It seems people are split on what this skill does.

test
Old 12-08-2011, 08:27 PM   #8
Stinkypuppy

Smile test

I tried a test to figure out exactly how wizardry works for staff users vs. non-staff users:

Question: Do players not using a staff get the 0.4%-per-wizardry point bonus to gem draw rate?

Measurement: count the number of gem draws within a 2 minute period (from "Looting ends in 2 minutes" until I get kicked out of combat). All measurements performed in triplicate. Moved each gem from the draw slot to in-play slot to distinguish between any consecutive identical gems.

Conditions: level 81 priest/jeweler with 69 staff, or with level 0 bow and arrow (no quiver or other weapons). No non-weapon gear was equipped that would affect gem draw rate. Level 55 wizardry skill (yeah I know ). Used a gem pouch with no blue gems to remove the Replay skill variable, and also no Gem Haste Aura gem or runes.

Results and Analysis:
With staff 69 -- 26 gem draws (all three measurements gave this value)
With bow/arrow 0 -- 16 gem draws (all three measurements gave this value)

With wizardry at 55, gem draw haste with staff is 40% + 55 x 0.4% = 62%.

26/1.62 = 16.05 per 2 minutes = base gem draw rate

Since 16.05 is really close to 16, I would conclude that with a bow and arrow, I'm drawing gems at my base gem draw rate, meaning I get no bonus from wizardry at all when not using a staff... not the 40%, and not the 0.4% per wizardry point. If non-staff users got the 0.4% per point benefit, the result with bow and arrow would have been 16.05 x 1.22 = 19.58... meaning that I should've seen 19's and 20's in my gem draw counts. The fact that I got 16's three out of three times makes it very unlikely that non-staff users would get this 0.4% per point benefit.

Stinkypuppy

Last edited by Stinkypuppy; 12-08-2011 at 08:31 PM..

Old 12-08-2011, 10:05 PM   #9
NoRemorse
Seer's BFF

i agree with oa , but my class gives me faster gems, i can not really comment on it.

It says 40 + 0.4 if staff is equipped tho, but the descriptions have been off on some occasions, glitch enlighten us?

Jeweler class bonus
Old 12-09-2011, 12:39 AM   #10
Stinkypuppy

Smile Jeweler class bonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noremorse View Post
i agree with oa , but my class gives me faster gems, i can not really comment on it.
The Jeweler class, which increases gem draw speed, would not preclude a person from commenting on the Wizardry skill, unless you are concerned that the jeweler's class bonus to speed up gem draws does not stack with the Wizardry skill. However if one were to suspect that, one could have doubts about class bonuses stacking with skills in general, which is a whole other issue altogether.

In my test and analysis above, I assumed that class bonuses stack with skills (e.g. priest bonus stacks with remedial focus, etc.). My Sec Spec skill is 51, so my jeweler gem draw haste bonus is 5% x 1.51 = 7.55%. That bonus would apply regardless of the weapon I've equipped, so it would have the same effect with a staff or with a bow. The "base gem draw rate" mentioned in my test would include that 7.55% bonus from the jeweler class, and would have contributed to both the 16 and 26 results I got. This in itself would not change the math involved with Wizardry, because had I not been a jeweler, the "base gem draw rate" would be lower, but it'd be lower by the same percentage whether I were wielding a staff or a bow. The conclusion would still be the same.

For the sake of argument, though, what if the jeweler class bonus didn't stack with Wizardry? In such a case, the greater boost would prevail, in the same way that a stronger aura of thorns negates the effects of a weaker aura of thorns. If a staff were equipped, the bonus from Wizardry prevails with a 62% boost. If a bow were equipped, the bonus would be 7.55% from the jeweler bonus if Wizardry did nothing at all for bow users, or 22% if Wizardry gave bow users the 0.4% bonus per skill point. Using a base rate of 16.05, with a 7.55% boost I'd expect results of 16.05 x 1.0755 = 17.26, which conflicts with my results because I did not get any counts of 17 or 18. A bonus of 22% would still lead to the expectation of the 19's and 20's mentioned earlier, so that conflicts also. The results are thus consistent with the hypothesis that non-staff users don't get any bonus from Wizardry at all, and on top of that, the results are consistent with the hypothesis that class bonuses stack with normal skills.

If you are unconvinced... the easiest (?) answer of course would just be to rely on the Nod god.

Stinkypuppy

Old 12-09-2011, 02:09 AM   #11
jaym
Gem Pouch Expert

support

Old 12-09-2011, 03:50 AM   #12
NoRemorse
Seer's BFF

i never said skills and classes do not stack , i just said it is not fair for me to compare main with alts

Old 12-09-2011, 05:07 PM   #13
Stinkypuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noremorse View Post
i never said skills and classes do not stack , i just said it is not fair for me to compare main with alts
Ahh I see... I agree, it wouldn't be best to compare a main with alts (which is what Oneangel did), because the different classes, gems, and other stuff may pose extra variables that confound the results. That's why I eliminated those extra variables in my testing.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:56 PM   #14
Peon25
Neophyte

Send a message via ICQ to Peon25 Send a message via AIM to Peon25 Send a message via Yahoo to Peon25 Send a message via Skype™ to Peon25

I have always taken this as 40 +.4 for staff-users only, and for non-staff users the bonus really is for the pouch usage. That's the way the verbiage translates to me.
The beauty of the Race War Kingdoms security checks is it doesn't matter how or why you fail them. If you fail enough of them in a row you are declared dumber than a macro and not fit to play the game. There is no excuse for being unable to count white boxes or continuing to play the game while failing checks.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:19 PM   #15
Hopilus
Epic Scholar

I've always taken the skill to apply to caster/staff users only when it comes to the gem haste.
The war is waged, the battles are fought, the Angels and the Demons vow that none shall be left standing. Compassion, never to be seen on the battlefield, one lone angel left standing at the battle's end, sword against her foes throat, tears in her eyes, for her fallen comrades and the slain enemies around her, staring into the eyes of the last demon, lowers her sword, a single act of compassion and mercy, never to be forgotten.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:08 PM   #16
Underkid
Boss Hunter

same here, though im just a noob :P... but thanks, this reminded me i have to raise that skill <3

Old 12-15-2011, 02:41 AM   #17
jaym
Gem Pouch Expert

support