Go Back   Nodiatis Forums > Nodiatis Forums > General Discussion > Nodiatis Discussion & Suggestions
RECOVER | REGISTER

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Quality of life changes and suggestions.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:59 AM   #1
SapreaverTwo
Crab Defiler

Default Quality of life changes and suggestions.

Hrya SapreaverTwo here. Most of y all know me or remember me from back of the day and you probably know I quit. Well i'm back for the time being probably the next year maybe longer. Well I was gone I played many games over the years, went to college and, am now in university

Nodiatis is in dire need of qol changes the interface is clunky and not very intuitive. These are things that are off putting to new players.

Some simple tweaks that make things stand out a bit more and be a little bit more organized so new players can find things easier and thus learn the game you have faster.

The biggest thing that I feel needs changing is the skills menu. There is a lot there and it's not very clear what's going on at all. It gives good information but it can be better.

My suggestion for this is to break away from the current set up listing areas on the left and than all the skills in the center to something that draws players in while simultaneously increasing organization and understandING of the game.

I believe this can be done by having it set up so when you click the skill icon instead of just giving you information overload. It brings it up sorted as such.

Physical
Magic
Crafting
Trade and adventuring.

Beneath each of these headings
Are icons that corespond to the respective altars at the church. When you click on these icons it than slides to the top left and lists the skills that can be learned by using trophies at that alter.

Accompanying this change would be the removal of the show all skills button it's unnecessary with the new set up instead replace it on the new set up with headers dividing the skills up. In to basic, novice, expert, master, legendary. This entices new players to adVance with out being a cluttered messed while also giving you room to add more skills with out worrying about room. Add a scroll bar if need be to see everything.
Another change that would be beneficial would be to remove the hover descriptions instead of that you click the skill to see the description. This slides all skills below that one down a little bit. And displays information about the highlighted skill.

Thsee next two suggestions are not qol suggestions but a way to combat the boring 1 square farming of areas because that's rather boring and you have a big map why artificially limit people to like 1 square per area.
have adventuring experienced earned the first time you enter a new zone equal to that of entering a town. This rewards new players for playing and progressing in the game more than just look a big sword or slightly more invisible power.
Now to Combat 1 square farming of areas have each square you've never been too give adventuring exp of about 2% of entering a new town. This promotes moving around the map more, would help combat the boredom of town walking and, generally be more thematic to adventuring.
In addition to these two above changes to adventuring exp. Add a square or two in each area that isn't a path called a point of interest. When found they give experience equal to half that of a town and contain a chest that has gold equal to a half that of a seers quest of that areas level. . This can be used as a narative tool to expand the lore.
Have these be randomly placed for each new character and only collectible once and once found go in to the achievements tab where you can review them and read about the lore or to check if you missed something.

Examples of points of interest.

Small area ( scorch land )
Destroyed water temple.
This temple was used to give offerings to the gods of water it was once a lush beautiful place now all that remains is a charred temple and burnt trees.

Large area ( plains)
Elephant graveyard.
Mounds upon mounds of bones are piled up here from a distance it looks like hills of salt or sand only as you approach could you make out the details of tusks and giant skeletons in the center lays a ruined alter and a fresh ogres corpse, two large holes in its abdomen.

Abandoned Ogre Sentry tower.
You stumble upon a decrepit watch tower no one seems to be around. It seems to be made by ogres. You better not stay too long.

These are two early game examples of points of interest the first one in the scorched lands sets up that the old civilization made offering to the wager gods thus foreshadowing the water elemental boss if you find the point first or explaining why there is a rampaging water elemental in the scorched Landa.

The second gives hints to what the boss is while hinting about the ogres further south explains why there is blood on the elephants tusks and expands the lore.

The third foreshadows the nearby ogres more.

These are some of my suggestions I have more that might be beneficial but the listed changes for adventuring would help expand nodiatis's lore while encouraging new players to explore the map and find pushes them to progress to learn.
The qol changes would also help to taper off the learning curve a bit to help newer peeps understand and pick up the game quicker. While also giving you as a developer room to expand the game. By say adding a new class of magic or even unarmed combat. Something the current set up with be difficult to allow. It also explains why skills every 20 levels increase in exp cost per level.
Anyways please respond glitch would love to hear your input.

Also any changes you guys can think of.