Go Back   Nodiatis Forums > Nodiatis Forums > General Discussion > Nodiatis Discussion & Suggestions
Forgot?

select gear to show when inspected
Old 11-14-2012, 10:54 AM   #1
paulodjohn
Seer's BFF

Default select gear to show when inspected

'This is coming soon' when you click on it, It would be nice to make this happen as a lot was given away with the arena guides. its not a game about trying to copy builds. if a team beats you, you should have to work to try counter them without just inspecting their stats and gear, as you can already see what gems they use. This feature is needed don't think it will be too hard to implement. Any idea to give away less about your build is needed for arena.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:02 PM   #2
Conqueror
Rare Collector

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

If anything, being able to inspect helps new players.

If you believe that by inspecting you and by reading a couple of guides, a total noob will copy your build and your ideas and win the arena championship, then you are somewhat paranoid imo.

Everyone that makes the top 10, doesn't really need the help. They already know what they are doing.

Despite what many may believe, being successful in arena is not that complicated. Here is Trojan describing it very eloquently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
A TANK... A HEALER... A CASTER
You can be politically correct and say dps instead of caster. But the point that I am trying to make is that you need to have a strong enough tank, healer and dps in order to make the top 10. And building them requires a lot of gold/tc's.

It is not just a simple matter of copying someone else's build. The builds are all identical enough. Casters need int/cnc - everybody that makes it to the top 10 should know that I would think. Tanks need defensive stats - doh.

If you really want to hide your build, make your arena gear your pvp set and have a different backpack equipped otherwise.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:12 PM   #3
Oneangel
Rare Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conqueror View Post
If you really want to hide your build, make your arena gear your pvp set and have a different backpack equipped otherwise.
This is what I did the whole of last season...however if you are inspected during arena matches ofc anyone can see your arena set. Having said that I think it's good for all to be able to see what they are up against as how else can you plan your counter measures? Those with the original ideas will always be a step ahead of copycats anyway.

Do you have angel wings when your blood runs dry; that make my tears incarnadine, when I start to cry? - Sigha

Old 11-14-2012, 01:21 PM   #4
Conqueror
Rare Collector

I just think that being able to inspect helps new players or low lvl players that are still trying to get a grasp on the game. It helps some people look ahead too I suppose - "maybe some day, I'll be like that," kind of thinking - gives them a goal and makes nod more exciting for them. I see no harm in being able to inspect tbh.

It would be nice to add some functionality to that button though. It has been coming soon for ages.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:45 PM   #5
paulodjohn
Seer's BFF

A lot of what you said is incorrect, I am not afraid of a noob copying and winning arena. its your closest opponents that will try to do this when they can't get the better of you. I noticed last season that a few teams copied a tactic or a style of play from others.

And in order to make the top 10 you don't need a healer. I don't think their are even more then 5 toons that healed outright last season. You need to think about strategies and counters to the best builds and groups.

@ oneangel, its not too hard to counter even if you can't see what your opponents are using. It might require some testing and fixing or changing your gear/enchants/gems. but if you do and you change the outcome of the fight then you deserve it. its too easy to just inspect someone then you know right away where you are beat. Since you can already see every gem they use.

Many builds might be very similar now but I think once the new epic skills are leveled a bit everyone will start to look a little different stat wise, I would rather if nobody could see what their opponents are doing.

Its a little like the new epic hp skill, before it anyone could give a very accurate estimate at how much hp someone would have maybe within 1,000 of the actual value. Now that has changed. Which is good as looking at someones dur won't tell you much about their health bar.

As for new players I am sure if they ask they will be helped and guided along the right track if they couldn't inspect a couple of players that hid their actual gear.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:15 PM   #6
Conqueror
Rare Collector

Yes teams with multiple melee toons and without any casters have made the top 10 as well. My point was that every member of the team has to be on top of their game. Skills, gear etc etc, everything costs gold/tc's. Not everybody that inspects you can compete with you because not everybody has the same resources available to them.

Quote:
I am not afraid of a noob copying and winning arena. its your closest opponents that will try to do this when they can't get the better of you. I noticed last season that a few teams copied a tactic or a style of play from others
Fair enough.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:25 PM   #7
paulodjohn
Seer's BFF

The team that finished 2nd last season were well under geared and under skilled then probably all of the other teams in top10. having good gear and gems does mean a lot but not everything, stat layout is a big part of your toon. I would just like if you could hide at least one part of your game, be it gems or gear/stats either would be good. But with shatter that isn't possible. unless auras were only shown. It should be up to others to trial and error until they get it right, the way it is now their is not much a team has to do to get better, if you got top skills and can see other peoples gems/gear/stats whats the challenge in making a top toon if you have the resources.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:31 PM   #8
beetdabrat
Auction Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulodjohn View Post
'This is coming soon' when you click on it, It would be nice to make this happen as a lot was given away with the arena guides. its not a game about trying to copy builds. if a team beats you, you should have to work to try counter them without just inspecting their stats and gear, as you can already see what gems they use. This feature is needed don't think it will be too hard to implement. Any idea to give away less about your build is needed for arena.
Actually I thought that button was going to be used to show your gear on a profile page that was going to be added to the website.

Beet Da Brat

Old 11-14-2012, 06:38 PM   #9
Jon
Temporarily Suspended

+1 Krim

Old 11-15-2012, 08:17 AM   #10
Oneangel
Rare Collector

I can understand the points made about hiding stats making it more interesting from an exploratory/discovery nature and personally wouldn't mind at all going back to the old inspect system. However I can't see how this would stop you from inspecting your opponent during an arena match. I think the simplest way to hide stats would be to not allow inspection during any pvp encounter. This would still allow new players to inspect farming suits and stats which I would expect to be their primary concern anyway.

Do you have angel wings when your blood runs dry; that make my tears incarnadine, when I start to cry? - Sigha

Old 03-11-2013, 02:09 PM   #11
Destruction
Rare Collector

Firstly, let me comment on Oneangel's posts: I fully agree that newbies need guidance in this game with stats and builds; however, just because they need help does not mean necessary that everyone should be out in the open to thorough examination. Civil chat, tutorial, and the forums exist for a reason. If someone has a question, they can ask it in civil, or look it up through the wide selections in the forums. You can only hold newbies hands so much.

In much larger games, examining people to see their "pimped" out gear would not affect anything or anyone. However, even in a majority of those games exists a "turn off" examination option. This game consisting of a much smaller player base it is a lot more significant. People, as Pual et al. have pointed out, can "copy" other player's stats and builds. Although TRUE builds won't be threatened by copy-cats, it is distasteful to know that there are only a certain numbers of unique fighting styles left in Nod.

Most builds now are either whip-using tanks, be it melee or bow users, or some sort of caster, be it DD or DOT. Different variations do exist, but the differences are getting smaller and smaller as people migrate toward the "top" person of each respective category (e.g., DD casters moving toward the stats and build of the "top" DD'er, etc). Copying is not a problem, as Pual has stated, to overcome, but it does make the game's characters more generic.

Since having left for over 2 years, it has been amazing to see that personal character faces have been implemented into the game. That kind of changes keeps the game and it's people "fresh." Those faces are pretty much the only thing distinguishing some characters from others in-game now. Originality is fading, and has faded over the last few years. As I said before, people are migrating toward what they see is working for others - making creativity that much more important.

My suggestion: Have an OPTION to select "ON/OFF" for inspect. Also, perhaps include the same for the actual gear people are wearing (e.g., select "ON/OFF" to display gear in addition to the stats.")

-Just my two cents

Old 03-11-2013, 03:53 PM   #12
Smashbros
Epic Scholar

ive always wanted this, so i can display lvl 1 gear to everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitchless View Post
However you want to spin it, buddy. This patch was specifically designed to somehow screw you over.

Quote:
Tell that to the crybaby archers
Quote:
We are well aware of the over-dramatic reactions to game changes in an effort to skew perception. It doesn't work, just makes them look like cry babies.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:59 PM   #13
Trojan
Seer's BFF

I support this at least while in arena .
Their are limited builds how is 1 to out do another by trying something new ? When most top teams can duplicate any build in a few days . My team was amongst the fist to go mre aoe caster and mre /pre caster this season . Once we started winning others followed .
This was ourt edge at first as we found a way to make heals more easily sustainable , and to constant fling aoes . Now the other top 2 teams are doing same thing and comes down to who can cast faster, Luck of draw, better skills etc. I dont think they should be handed the info that made our builds work ....ie stats and what choices of lgs.

be careful of those alpha nerds !!!

Old 03-11-2013, 06:44 PM   #14
concede
Temporarily Suspended

i had that lg bp and helm in storage for almost 2 months just waiting for the last week to use it.

just because someone decided to give us a run i was forced to go in to my final build early. you didn't discover jack on your own

Old 03-11-2013, 06:46 PM   #15
concede
Temporarily Suspended

btw Ripple had that build 2 months if not longer now. you are just piss poor butt hurt because you feel entitled

Old 03-11-2013, 09:37 PM   #16
RogueTigeR
Epic Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by concede View Post
you didn't discover jack on your own

Don't have paul spam civ then:
[PAULOFACE]civil: Looking for epic key to this build 5+++, pm me

like 18 hr's after our 1st fight. Looks really bad when you say you've been preparing and planning the build that to the best of my knowledge, Trojan and Ryiah were the 1st's to use (successfully), then after you encounter the build, you stay out of queue for like 48-60 hrs, toons are deleveling and leveling and deleveling stats are dramatically changed on base stats themselves and enchants, while the team is still searching frantically for runes in civil spam.

Just facts.... I've made up my mind about what happened..... guess others will too. Not saying who were the originators and who were the imitators. But, if you had planned the build we use for months in advance, I'd fire your strategic planner..... poor planning..... very poor planning. And to think... had months to smooth out all the kinks and the transition process......

Still <3 joo anywayz

Old 03-11-2013, 09:43 PM   #17
Trojan
Seer's BFF

Regardless of who did what . What plans were or going to be arena is 1 of last things to do in nod and shouldnt be copy this and out do each other at it . Should be diverse and fun .

Old 03-11-2013, 09:47 PM   #18
Sanlucifer
Epic Scholar

Send a message via MSN to Sanlucifer

Paulito admitted it to me that he had to copy u guys but hey, arena is all about who copy the best counter to the last op combo and who does it better, always been the case but now at least on the past 6seasons top 3 teams.... come on... there is a lot of possible winners strategies instead of copying.

My soul is continually in my hand: yet do I not forget thy law.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:54 PM   #19
Trojan
Seer's BFF

Yes but I think somin should be done to make it harder to dopy, Top teams are highest xp toons generally capable of building anything , Large earners able to change gear easily .
Not allowing inspecting in arena would least give chance to come up with something on our own and keep it to ourselves .

Old 03-11-2013, 10:14 PM   #20
Master
Boss Hunter

Hide those stats yo