Go Back   Nodiatis Forums > Nodiatis Forums > General Discussion > Bug & Exploit Reports
Forgot?

damage bonus affecting dot after they've been cast
Old 02-02-2016, 06:26 PM   #1
Nemesiss
Auction Master

Default damage bonus affecting dot after they've been cast

so during arena while fighting dotters been noticing ticks growing higher without any gems landing. then exce tells me damage bonus still effects the pending damage even tho the dot has been cast, which can assume is affecting all dot types this way. put in bugs cause to me seems like a fairly big one for dotters specially the disease gems that take 45 secs to dish out and ending in a rupture larger than it should have been. anyway wanted your thoughts on it.

Old 02-03-2016, 12:09 AM   #2
RavenShadow
Boss Hunter

If this is working for DoT ticks like disease, does it do the same with poison, burning and bleeding ticks? Seems really exploitable if someone tanks all the way up to damage bonus then just flips gear around and wrecks their opponent with only a few gems.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:57 AM   #3
Blaze
Boss Hunter

dots have always had ticks increase. for all builds. it goes by when the damage happens for multiplier. like if you unequip an ef leg after the dot was casted...the ticks following that wouldn't be affected by the leg's miti.

it takes 45 seconds for disease to tick. give or take for dark patience or hasten demise. you benefit from damage bonus immediately while we take 45 seconds to actually get the damage out unless we get lucky with rng and rupture.

it's been like this since bonus came out no reason to change it now

@ raven it's basically only way tanks can compete in 1v1 arena since they eventually shaft

Last edited by Blaze; 02-03-2016 at 07:00 AM..

Old 02-03-2016, 07:01 AM   #4
Excellence
Seer's BFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by King View Post
dots have always had ticks increase. for all builds. it goes by when the damage happens for multiplier. like if you unequip an ef leg after the dot was casted...the ticks following that wouldn't be affected by the leg's miti.

it takes 45 seconds for disease to tick. give or take for dark patience or hasten demise. you benefit from damage bonus immediately while we take 45 seconds to actually get the damage out unless we get lucky with rng and rupture.

@ raven it's basically only way tanks can compete in 1v1 arena since they eventually shaft
There was no bonus 8 years ago. So stop posting things you don't know about and stick to the things you know plz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick View Post
You'd be surprised how much Excellence helped me in arena, he carried me both seasons so I can't thank him enough for that
Quote:
ill admit ex is a real toon though... >_> god i'll never hear the end of my saying that

Old 02-03-2016, 07:04 AM   #5
Blaze
Boss Hunter

it's called memory serb. not everyone has perfect one. forgot damage bonus didn't exist til epic beast either couldn't or take a very long time to kill scrambles

Old 02-03-2016, 10:15 AM   #6
Nemesiss
Auction Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenShadow View Post
If this is working for DoT ticks like disease, does it do the same with poison, burning and bleeding ticks? Seems really exploitable if someone tanks all the way up to damage bonus then just flips gear around and wrecks their opponent with only a few gems.
people can essentially do that anyway assuming they can survive the damage once they switched or have another to taunt for them

Quote:

just because its been this way doesnt mean it shouldnt be changed/fixed. it would effect most builds to an extent but nothing compared to dot gems, suppose it could do archers same way with their slower poison/burn but thats not a bad thing. as you said non dot damage is immediate so what you see is what you get good or bad, but dot is static and unchanged aside from miti so you cast a gem and get a line of non ruptures all the while the damage is still racking up from that first cast leading to a much larger rupture than you should have been able to do. even if i manage to avoid a line of gems your damage is still building up with current bonus from a gem you landed 30 seconds ago which small increments of time are a lot in bonus.
obviously after enough time a gem from way back will run its course if no rupture but i think you can get my point.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:31 AM   #7
Blaze
Boss Hunter

so rare to see a civilized argument where someone explains the points. i do see your point on how it's op. without it dot seems pretty weak though since you'd need to land all the gems later on. gives a feeling of one extreme to another. a middle ground would be best.

i mean take devil. his cnt is 900+ (unless he changed since i last fought him) with auras especially it's hard to land on him. with things like aerial dominion his bow can hit quite high numbers and with degen that's fun <_<... if all the gems before are useless since too low damage gotta asap land a bunch of gems on him and proc rupture before he kills you combined with cleansing quiver....

the advantage of dot is you can build the damage to rupture their max hp so this would make it much harder by taking away this advantage. as is though i can't think of a compromise that would make it less op but not fully nerfed.

i admit devil is pretty built to counter dots but prevents can provide a similar effect to his cnt.

Last edited by Blaze; 02-03-2016 at 10:36 AM..

Old 02-03-2016, 11:44 AM   #8
Glitchless
Administrator

Couple things to clarify: the damage bonus that is being discussed here is the PvP damage multiplier. Equipment/gem/item/skill based DoT bonuses do not affect DoTs that are already on your targets.

As the PvP damage multiplier increases, so do the ticks of DoTs. This is because the PvP damage multiplier only affects damage at the time that it actually occurs.

The offset to this is the fact that cure gems benefit greatly from this. Since they remove DoT damage prior to it being bonused, their effect is also multiplied by the PvP damage mult (and reflected in the displayed amount of DoT cured, as per a patch some time ago).

There are of course pros and cons to DoT vs instant damage, especially when the PvP damage multiplier gets involved. In this case, we don't believe this one is OP for anyone, especially with the ways available to completely cleanse yourself of pending DoTs and how the ability to cure DoTs increases with the multiplier, whereas the ability to heal instant damage has no such offset.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:49 AM   #9
Blaze
Boss Hunter

ooh. i never knew that's how cure gems work. just wondering when heals overcleanse say 10k dots is this also the dots before they are multiplied?

Old 02-03-2016, 12:02 PM   #10
Glitchless
Administrator

All DoT cures, from cure gems or overcleanse, are (under the hood) cleansing DoT damage prior to the PvP bonus. The number that they show as cleansed is multiplied by the PvP damage multiplier to show the actual amount of damage that they would have cleansed, had that DoT damage gone through.

TL/DR: All DoT removal is bonused by PvP Damage mult the same way DoTs are bonused by PvP Damage mult.

Old 02-03-2016, 12:04 PM   #11
Blaze
Boss Hunter

thanks for the explanation

Old 02-03-2016, 12:12 PM   #12
Nemesiss
Auction Master

makes sense for 3v3 long as you have a healer. still a boost 1v1 for dot i think but as its not the main attraction not much point in doing anything as it would offset 3v3 it seems..

thanks for posting.

on to my next scheme........... *evil laugh*