Go Back   Nodiatis Forums > Nodiatis Forums > General Discussion > Player Guides and Help
Forgot?

Defense points?
Old 04-04-2009, 02:46 AM   #1
jeeden

Default Defense points?

I am a melee vampire build focusing on green/white/blue for heals/auras and using slashing. I'm level 13. I plan on dual wielding two bloodclaws.

My question is about AGI/CNT/DUR.

1.If I spend more points into DUR will I then receive more hps per level?
2.I get the warning now about my CNT being too low, how important is CNT, should I just pump CNT until the warning goes away or?...
3.I've been putting my points into 1 AGI and 2 DUR per level. Since I will be dual wielding, I will need AGI for parrying. And I need more DUR to survive. How should I place my points?

Old 04-04-2009, 04:38 AM   #2
doctor-warlord
Auction Master

Send a message via AIM to doctor-warlord Send a message via MSN to doctor-warlord Send a message via Yahoo to doctor-warlord

well CNT simply effects how the skills you use to resist gems works

Old 04-04-2009, 06:29 AM   #3
Necrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor-warlord View Post
well CNT simply effects how the skills you use to resist gems works
You could do something sneaky and not rely on the resistance skills at all. Instead, get grey magic to 15 at least and start using the % resistance auras and put some points into the white magic LV 20 skills later on.

EDIT: At level 15 grey you can use 3 auras to give 20% resistance to all spells.

That way you do not have to worry about cnt for resistance.

Old 04-04-2009, 02:18 PM   #4
Dudleydragon

I think that those 3 gem slots could be better used for healing gems. You'll negate more damage healing yourself rather than trying to resistance spells.

Old 04-05-2009, 01:48 AM   #5
Solikos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeden View Post
My question is about AGI/CNT/DUR.
Good question without a concrete answer... Lots of people have told me various ways to go about this...

Quote:
No. The life you 'drain' from your opponent is based off of the damage you deal, not your total hit points.

Quote:
2.I get the warning now about my CNT being too low, how important is CNT, should I just pump CNT until the warning goes away or?...
Honestly I cannot attest to 'how important' CNT or AGI are... On my Guardian I put 1 point into AGI/CNT/DUR each level, but I honestly can't tell if I resist spells any better than my Archer (pure DUR). However, I'm still low level, so the difference between 100 and 115 stat points is still minimal.

Quote:
3.I've been putting my points into 1 AGI and 2 DUR per level. Since I will be dual wielding, I will need AGI for parrying. And I need more DUR to survive. How should I place my points?
Like I said, my personal opinion is 1/1/1 for a tank... Here is why:

AGI: Obviously needed for Parry and Block if you use a shield. This can also help you attack, as you will be blocked/parried against less frequently. Certainly worthy of 1 skill per level.

CNT: I assume at higher levels this becomes increasingly more important (as monster stats increase in all levels, and spell effects become more detrimental). I'm not certain if Armor Class is calculated into defense against spells, but I assume it is not. In which case, this is virtually your only defense against spells (unless you can block or use a 2 handed weapon, which have skills specific to spell deflection... There may be other skills I have not looked into, as well). As a tank, I consider this worthy of 1 point per level as well... On another note, as mentioned above, there *are* ways 'around' this, but the cost could be greater than the loss of some life (3 gems for example, is a huge loss).

Thus far we have talked about damage mitigation as opposed to actual health... In theory, if you have someone healing you, this will actually allow you to last longer, as your healer(s) will need to heal you less (which means they lose mana/energy slower). Coupled with vampire 'leeching' you could make up for a lot of damage.

DUR: This simply gives you more health. This is good for 'lasting' longer in a battle (I assume this is especially true for PvP), but if you over concentrate here, you will not mitigate as much damage, and thus will incur more damage... The more damage you take, the more mana/energy you will require to keep alive, and the longer your downtime will be. Still probably worth a point here, as sometimes your sheer health pool can save the day in a tough high level boss fight.

In my opinion durability is most ideal for characters that don't expect to tank... Why? Because if you only take 10-20 levels in Defensive, AGI or CNT will do you no good as they will be minimal in comparison to monsters that you fight. Those levels best benefit you in health, as you just want to 'last a little longer' until a tank can take a monster away from you.

Well, that's my thinking on the matter... Hope it helps.

~ Solikos

Last edited by Solikos; 04-05-2009 at 01:52 AM..

Old 04-05-2009, 08:20 PM   #6
Necrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudleydragon View Post
I think that those 3 gem slots could be better used for healing gems. You'll negate more damage healing yourself rather than trying to resistance spells.
It all depends on your opponent on what you need.

If you are fighting a mob, you need blue resistace. Not as much need then for anti-daze. They will cast one other color spell. The maximum number of auras you would need is 2.

Live opponents could use no DD/DoT gems, therefore you need 0 auras. Others may require you to need 1 or 2.

Best thing about the resistance auras is that they are auras. You could start with them already in play. If you don't need them for a fight, you can replace them with a healing gem.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:25 PM   #7
Drugar

so why not both Cnt and auras? or is there a cap?

Old 04-10-2009, 07:32 AM   #8
Dudleydragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necrox View Post
If you don't need them for a fight, you can replace them with a healing gem.
Ah yes, I forgot about that wonderful skill called "Gem handling".

Auras are the way to go then .

There isn't a cap for both CNT and auras, but you don't need to be resisting every single spell they throw at you.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:32 PM   #9
Chrism
Gem Pouch Expert

As for you question, #1

Quote:
The answer here is YES. More DUR means more HP when you level up. Also, each point in DUR will increase your HP. This becomes significant at higher levels. For instance, I have 3 Lvl 40 chars with the following DUR / HP

DUR / HP
205 / 1590
215 / 1663
232 / 1788

Important to note, though... If I were to enchant the Char with 205 DUR up to 215 or 232, it would result in the same exact HP total that either of the other 2 chars currently have. That is to say, it does not matter WHEN you get the points in DUR, just how much DUR you have and what Lvl you are.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:03 PM   #10
Hunters Bane
Auction Master

Quote:
2.I get the warning now about my CNT being too low, how important is CNT, should I just pump CNT until the warning goes away or?

2. How often you will resist magic attack depends on the combination of Sorcery, Diabolism, Mindbending, and Impedance. If you don't have those up you won't resist gems too much.

3. Agi is just as important as Dur, so I'd try to keep them mostly even. But also keep your Dex up, you can't parry without Dex and Agi.
Captaincrunch

Devildriver