Arena Length
Old 02-19-2019, 12:42 PM   #1
Claudia
Rare Collector
 
Claudia's Avatar
 
Claudia is offline
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 850
Default Arena Length

So... here's idea, based on the below image



If arena seasons are going to be long, is it possible to announce them from the beginning? Say next season starts Saturday, March 9th and ends 6 months later when ever that is (September ish). With rush one week before season end as per usual and IF glitch implements tournament then tournament ends 2 days or what ever after that.

This way those that want to get tokens/rating/tempers will know exactly how long they have to get them and how to pace themselves in order to achieve their goals.

Changes and suggestions to this idea are welcome, but i would appreciate it if you wouldn't mention why it can't be done but find ways that it can be done
__________________




  Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2019, 12:45 PM   #2
dontkillme
Neophyte
 
dontkillme is offline
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 17
Default

Support! I hate never knowing when arena will end. Advance planning very nice!

DKM
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2019, 12:46 PM   #3
Lakki
Gem Pouch Expert
 
Lakki's Avatar
 
Lakki is offline
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Arizona or anywhere sandy!
Posts: 295
Default

geef 2v2 arena nao

Last edited by Lakki; 02-19-2019 at 12:46 PM.. Reason: SUPPORT.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2019, 12:59 PM   #4
Wulfrym
Rat Slayer
 
Wulfrym is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 45
Default

now now, we all love good surprises,
like announcing arena rush!
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2019, 01:10 PM   #5
Roeth
Seer's BFF
 
Roeth is offline
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 612
Default

There's no reason it can't be done.

We already know, at the start of a season, that a season is going to be 5 months long (roughly). As such, if you want to do certain tempers, etc. you can already plan accordingly.

Which leaves the question really being this : As such, what benefit does knowing the exact end date 5 months in advance actually give ?

If you say there is no benefit, then the idea is pointless.
If there is a benefit, then could that be exploited, and what steps would be needed to stop such exploitation from happening ?
__________________
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2019, 01:12 PM   #6
Iesus
Boss Hunter
 
Iesus's Avatar
 
Iesus is offline
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 194
Default

I like Claudia's idea. Rush week announcement with the start of arena season instead of drama and such things

Support the idea!
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2019, 01:13 PM   #7
Pale
Seer's BFF
 
Pale is offline
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 505
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudia View Post
So... here's idea, based on the below image



If arena seasons are going to be long, is it possible to announce them from the beginning? Say next season starts Saturday, March 9th and ends 6 months later when ever that is (September ish). With rush one week before season end as per usual and IF glitch implements tournament then tournament ends 2 days or what ever after that.

This way those that want to get tokens/rating/tempers will know exactly how long they have to get them and how to pace themselves in order to achieve their goals.

Changes and suggestions to this idea are welcome, but i would appreciate it if you wouldn't mention why it can't be done but find ways that it can be done
Support!
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2019, 01:26 PM   #8
HiddenHorror
Neophyte
 
HiddenHorror's Avatar
 
HiddenHorror is offline
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Greece
Posts: 20
Default

YES YES YES. I totally support the idea. Great one Claudia. That is something the community has been asking for ages. It can be done, we do ask it, why not having it at last.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2019, 01:37 PM   #9
Roeth
Seer's BFF
 
Roeth is offline
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 612
Default

Nobody has actually answered the question as to what benefit it gives :

or, to put it another way, WHY do you support (or not support) this ?
__________________
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2019, 01:46 PM   #10
Wulfrym
Rat Slayer
 
Wulfrym is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roeth View Post
Nobody has actually answered the question as to what benefit it gives :

or, to put it another way, WHY do you support (or not support) this ?
no support
will be abused too much with last minute pvpers
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2019, 01:57 PM   #11
Roeth
Seer's BFF
 
Roeth is offline
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 612
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfrym View Post
no support
will be abused too much with last minute pvpers
Come on, all those in support of the change, what are your reasons for supporting this ?
__________________
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2019, 02:05 PM   #12
Claudia
Rare Collector
 
Claudia's Avatar
 
Claudia is offline
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 850
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfrym View Post
no support
will be abused too much with last minute pvpers
Are you saying that now it's not?

And to answer Roeth, it's not pointless idea, like some people said in civil channel when i told them about this post: There are people that want to and have the possibility to take time off from work/school/irl stuff in order to fully dedicate themselves to arena.

And since then... why not allow those people to do that? Abuse happens regardless of when rush is announced, people will always find a reason to complain because this or that or the other.

With a clear arena end in place then at least noone can say "i couldn't compete because i didn't know when it will be over"
__________________




  Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2019, 02:17 PM   #13
Holyspirit
Crab Defiler
 
Holyspirit is offline
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 71
Default

Not needed imo and can only cause issues rather than any benefits apart from " because I wanna know "

In my opinion a little flexibility is needed as new weapon and potentially patch for game usually is best implemented between seasons to avoid buff/nerf certain builds and cause massive whining.

Testing and tweaking may take time therefore exact date won't work . Companions release is perfect example .

Quality needs time . Be patient . 3 weeks heads up is perfect . Let's leave it .
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2019, 04:49 PM   #14
Roeth
Seer's BFF
 
Roeth is offline
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 612
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudia View Post
Are you saying that now it's not?

And to answer Roeth, it's not pointless idea, like some people said in civil channel when i told them about this post: There are people that want to and have the possibility to take time off from work/school/irl stuff in order to fully dedicate themselves to arena.

And since then... why not allow those people to do that? Abuse happens regardless of when rush is announced, people will always find a reason to complain because this or that or the other.

With a clear arena end in place then at least noone can say "i couldn't compete because i didn't know when it will be over"
Well, to start with, people in school can't 'take time off' - terms are fixed dates long in advance, and non-attendance 'so I can do well in a game' isn't going to get them very far with their tutors, etc.

You said initially about This way those that want to get tokens/rating/tempers will know exactly how long they have to get them and how to pace themselves in order to achieve their goals.

Well, if they need lots of tokens and the rating to use those tokens, then they already know (roughly) how long the season will last - and can plan accordingly. Yes, they can't exactly plan - but life is like that. Stuff happens. Maybe not having perfect knowledge of events months in advance teaches people that, rather than them getting everything handed to them on a plate.

If someone needs 8* tempers (or even 7*), they're not going to get them just by waiting for the rush - or even 2 weeks before rush - and then Q'ing like mad. They're going to have to work through a fair bit of the season to amass the tokens and rating needed - especially with the limited number of fights available.

Hate to say it, but in your post I don't see any really clear argument as to why this SHOULD be introduced - apart from "It makes the game easy". If that's the argument for it, then maybe we should ask for insta-kills on all mobs, automatic t30 resource pulls every time, etc.

As Glitch says, randomness is randomy. Having arena end within a random range (most arena seasons are 140-160 days long, so people can vaguely plan, along with the pre-announcement of season end), is not a bad thing.
__________________
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2019, 06:29 PM   #15
Blaze
Boss Hunter
 
Blaze is offline
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,817
Default

while roeth says there is no benefit. there is no demerit either. there is no reason it should be implemented except that it doesn't have a benefit?

arena season 22: 153 days.
arena season 21: 159 days.
arena season 20: 152 days.
arena season 19: 139 days.
arena season 18: 125 days.
arena season 17: 140 days.

they are fairly consistent yes. but the largest gap in last 2.3 years of arena. was a full 34 days. over a month.

forget planning tempers or w/e. that's a full month of less time to queue to win. arena should require participation to win. but not a full 5 months of 6 hour days.

first place team has done 3257 matches at time of this post. we are 142 days into the season. with some quick math. that is an average of 23 matches a day. let's be generous. we'll say they get a fight (and complete it) in 5 minutes. that's a cycle per match. some will be longer when queue is slow or vs strong teams. but yh. that's 2 hours a day of queueing. for 5 months. 284 hours of arena. and season is far from over yet. and imagine if they did their full 40 a day? which some could choose to do for an entire season. then go from a 600 rating lead to what...1k? 1.5k? same way alga won 1v1 arena. if you are strong enough to achieve the same results in 3 months. why shouldn't you be allowed to? with current format. you ain't catching up in 1-2 weeks. it's months. the stronger teams should know "ok this is a 4 month season not a 5 month season. we need to start on xx/xx/xxxx". the weaker teams. can still compete by grinding hard that extra 1-2 months they got. even though weak teams shouldn't be able to compete at all.

tl;dr

just because a patch doesn't help /you/ doesn't mean it doesn't help anyone. if you're stronger. why not be allowed to gamble on how long it'll take you to recover the rating gap. and announcing the end won't really hurt anyone right? it'll make the strong teams queue faster. and the ahem. not weak teams that happen to occupy top slots. will know roughly when the others start too based on end date.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2019, 06:34 PM   #16
Freakymagic
Boss Hunter
 
Freakymagic is offline
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 272
Default

The only thing this helps was when rush teams had a chance to win. As this season has shown, que from day 1 in full try hard mode with pots is how you win. Knowing when rush will be at the start of the season wont change anything. If you need tokens and tempers then que a lot from the start. If you want to place high, que a lot from the start. If you want bonus, Que a lot from the start.

Knowing when rush is only helps those few people who are willing and able to take time off work for rush. This would only cause drama when the posted date is changed and those people who took time off get screwed over.

At most this helps a handful of people who may also get screwed over if the posted date was to change. Doesn't really server a purpose anymore.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2019, 08:33 AM   #17
Enduir
Auction Master
 
Enduir's Avatar
 
Enduir is offline
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,291
Default

Length is fine, needs more girth.
__________________




Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitchless View Post
You won't be warned again.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2019, 08:42 AM   #18
Qratos
Gem Pouch Expert
 
Qratos's Avatar
 
Qratos is offline
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 471
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enduir View Post
Length is fine, needs more girth.
that's what she said
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41 PM
Boards live since 05-21-2008


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.