Go Back   Nodiatis Forums > Nodiatis Forums > General Discussion > Player Guides and Help
Forgot?

list of newbie questions
Old 12-25-2009, 09:33 PM   #1
Guessingo

Default list of newbie questions

I will have a bunch of questions. Ill add new ones in this thread.

I am a wizard at level 7. I have read the spellcaster guide.

1. which skill allows me to add new gem bags?
2. is there a skill that lets me have more gems out in combat?
3. are casters weaker than other classes until late game? It seems that way.
4. I am using red and blue magic for combat. I should soon have level 8 green magic so I can get that aura that adds 5 extra damage. I am then going to raise my blue magic from 3 to 8 to get level 2 balance. Is that a good plan?
5. travelling is a pain. I try to head back to towns and if ight every step of the way and get no experience. is there any easier way to move around?

anything else you can tell me?

Last edited by Guessingo; 12-25-2009 at 10:01 PM..

Old 12-25-2009, 10:07 PM   #2
Conqueror
Rare Collector

1. Wizardry skill under psych magic (lvl 10 in this skill unlocks the second pouch and lvl 50 unlocks the third)

2. As a caster you should use a staff. If you use a staff, the gem in the first slot in your pouch always starts in combat (I recommend that you put a flareup aura here). If you put aura gems in your second third and fourth slots there is a higher chance that these gems will also start in play provided you level up gem handling. (At level 100 gem handling they will always start in play).

3. Yes casters are weaker than other characters earlier on in the game. The good thing is that they are very strong at end game.

4. Since your character is level 7 here is what I recommend as far as your gem pouch is concerned (it will change as you level up). Use one pouch as your attack pouch and leave the other pouch as your heal / escape pouch once you unlock it. In your pouch place a flare up aura in the first slot and then fill up the rest of your pouch with direct damage gems (for example: daggers of flame, demonic embrace, touch of death and inferno). So if you have one flareup, and one of each of the ones I mentioned here you will have 5 gems. Get one balancer and one more dd and your pouch will be full. Once you unlock your other pouch place heals and leave some spots empty in the second pouch so that you can escape if you need. Use the escape healing pouch only if the going gets tough. Otherwise stick with the attack pouch.

Also look at the guides posted under the "competition magic guide" thread. They are very good and will help you figure out where to go.

Lastly look at ht tp://w ww.yo utube.com/us er/tena dia <=== get rid of spaces. Can't post links yet.

The videos are of a caster. Will give you something to look forward to.

Goodluck

Old 12-25-2009, 10:21 PM   #3
flipynifty
Epic Scholar

Send a message via MSN to flipynifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guessingo View Post

1. which skill allows me to add new gem bags?
2. is there a skill that lets me have more gems out in combat?
3. are casters weaker than other classes until late game? It seems that way.
4. I am using red and blue magic for combat. I should soon have level 8 green magic so I can get that aura that adds 5 extra damage. I am then going to raise my blue magic from 3 to 8 to get level 2 balance. Is that a good plan?
5. travelling is a pain. I try to head back to towns and if ight every step of the way and get no experience. is there any easier way to move around?

1 - Wizardry in psych magic, lvl 10 and 50 unlock the next pouches. Getting it to level 10 is important so you can leave a pouch empty to switch to in case you need to escape combat.

2 - There is not a skill that allows for more than 6 gems in combat. If you are an unpaid account I would suggest just paying the $5 and trying premium for 10 days. Having all 6 slots as a caster is important (i have a level 76 wizard, this i know).

3 - Casters late in the game are quite powerful and can hit really hard. The only issue is running out of many or energy. Think about the future as you go.

4 - At low level you really only need one balance gem, with the few amount of gems that come up in combat having a nice variety is good. Also I would suggest Manaburst, Invigorate for a quick fill or even mana and energy cantrips to have a small fill and immediately draw a new gem, also transcendence and wisp lift for a heal over time affect on mana and energy for longer battles.

5 - The easiest way to move around is having the accel upgrade, however you could also just walk between Stronhad and Fenelia a few times raising the exploration skill. At low levels you won't notice a big difference here though. Even at 80 with 70 exploration and accel i run into greys which is annoying, but it's a fact of life. When you travel in monster areas, even if they are weak, some will have the cojones to attack.

If you have any other questions PM me in game.

omg i wanna sammich nao

Old 12-26-2009, 05:56 AM   #4
Smashbros
Epic Scholar

Quote:

cause the others have been answered ill answer #4 to the best i can.

red magic is the best DD gem, meaning it will do the most damage per gem/per cast. and it uses only mana, it also has the flare up gem which adds to the max hit you can do with your gems.

now i use black magic mixed in with my red (cause im a necro with a bonus to black gems) with using black gems you get the added bonus of them both being in death magic, and blacks use only energy (which allows you to not run out of mana/energy as fast by using gems that only suck 1 of them.) but ive also been told that green are powerful DD gems.

you need to decide (better to do it early) what coloured gems you want to use as your main, and if you want to be a DD or DoT caster, (DD = direct damage, and DoT = Damage over Time), Honestly DD is stronger then DoT, but in saying that DoT also has some buffs coming (atleast thats what has been hinted at)

you can change between the 2 easily enough, but gems cost alot in end game (the rank 18 gems are approx 33k each gem and your pouch can hold 50 gems, with 3 pouches available thats 150 gems..)

blue and green magic are good to raise as support gems (if you choose not to use either as a main damage magic).

anything else you need to know either pm me in here or in game (name = Smashbros ) and ill answer as best i can.

others have more experience then me aswell, but it is good to get as many opinions as you can before you make your final decision.

Old 12-26-2009, 07:12 AM   #5
Guessingo

1. the only way to raise explore is through passive training right?

2. how do you increase how many gems you can have active?

Last edited by Guessingo; 12-26-2009 at 08:02 AM..

Old 12-26-2009, 11:51 AM   #6
Jochi

Quote:
1. the only way to raise explore is through passive training right?

2. how do you increase how many gems you can have active?
1. The exploration skill can be raised through passive training, or by travelling from town to town. The higher your level, the more xp you will get when u travel between towns. There are other skills besides Exploration under Adventuring, so make sure you set the one you want to raise to Active before you reach the other town.

2. The fifith slot (from the right) is usable with a Standard account, and Premium account allows use of both the 5th and 6th slots. Otherwise, free acounts have the mininum 4 active gem slots.

Old 12-26-2009, 03:40 PM   #7
Smashbros
Epic Scholar

travelling helps raise your adventuring skills, it adds exp only to the skill that has the A next to it.

having Active Acceleration and virtures help increase the amount of active exp you gain. (active accel gives you 0.25% more exp per point and each virt gives an extra 1%.)

Old 12-26-2009, 08:34 PM   #8
Guessingo

what is a virtue? is that something you have to buy?

Old 12-26-2009, 08:36 PM   #9
flipynifty
Epic Scholar

A virtue gives you 1% extra experience in game, and at the same time is a requirement for using epics, each epic requires two virtues, but many share the same virtue. There are 30 in all.

You can get virtues by using a timecard bought with gold, or buy the virtue using paypal or paybycash. You can also buy the virtue pack but that costs and extra $20.

omg i wanna sammich nao

Old 12-27-2009, 11:14 AM   #10
Guessingo

How do pets work? Is there a way to equip a pet? Does it act like a party member in combat and attacks?

Old 12-27-2009, 12:29 PM   #11
Jochi

Quote:
How do pets work? Is there a way to equip a pet? Does it act like a party member in combat and attacks?
Pets are essentially an equipped item that can do 2 things - attack enemies and/or heal its owner. All classes can use pets, and it is almost essential to use pets.

To equip pets, one has to level up the Petmanship skill (under Beast Mastery). The trophy altar is outside the church, and the only altar that takes both combat and spirit trophies. The first pet is the rat; it requires Petmanship level 10, and either be found as a drop or bought from the Pet Store in T3.

Upon Petmanship level 30, one can also equip 2 pets (limited by petmanship level requirement of the pet of course).

There is much more to pet use in Nod. Feel free to PM me in-game or continue asking in this thread.

Old 12-27-2009, 01:54 PM   #12
Guessingo

i take it getting my petmanship to 10 as early as possible is a good idea. I was raising protection skills with combat trophies. I have petmanship at 8. ill use passive training on it also to get it to 10.

will having a rat significantly increase my kill rate at level 8? I am in the forest near the first town.

Old 12-27-2009, 02:26 PM   #13
flipynifty
Epic Scholar

the rat will help a lot.

omg i wanna sammich nao

Old 12-27-2009, 07:02 PM   #14
Roeth
Seer's BFF

There are two types of pets, attackers and healers. Initially, get the rat (petmanship 10), as this will improve your kill rate. However, by level 14 or so, you should really be getting petmanship up to 18, so you can get a chipmunk. This is the first non-epic healing pet, and will greatly help you survive.

There may be a few who disagree with me on this, but I would recommend that you don't change from the chipmunk for a long time. The next healing pet is the 37 (epic) swan. A swan is about as good as 2 chipmunks. So, when you get to petmanship 30, get a second chipmunk.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:44 PM   #15
Guessingo

you need virtues to get epics right? how do you get virtues without paying for it, then how do you get epic items?

which town sells chipmunks?

Old 12-27-2009, 08:22 PM   #16
Jochi

Quote:
you need virtues to get epics right? how do you get virtues without paying for it, then how do you get epic items?

which town sells chipmunks?
Chipmunks are sold in T4.

Yes, each epic item requires 2 virtues to use. 1 virtue = 1 Time Card (TC), and TCs can be bought with in-game gold from AH or through trade with other players.

Epics are can found as drops, sold in AH by other players, or occasionally found in town stores when standard/premium players sell them to store.

Old 12-28-2009, 04:51 PM   #17
Guessingo

how do you equip a pet? I got a rat in a battle, but now I finally have 10 petmanship. how do i use it?

Old 12-28-2009, 05:23 PM   #18
Roeth
Seer's BFF

Open your inventory screen, the pet goes to the left side of your helm. When you get 30 petmanship, the second pet goes on the other side

Old 12-28-2009, 07:42 PM   #19
Guessingo

does staff damage go up if i raise two handed and crush damage in weapons?

Old 12-28-2009, 07:49 PM   #20
thatperson
Epic Scholar

staves are 2 handed weapons and staves are crushing weapons but raising crushing will not affect staves

(as far as i know 2h skill works for staves)
  • Fix and eat a sandwich +15%
  • Watch TV -5%
  • Urinate +20%
  • Finish your homework +10%
  • Stand on your head for 5+ minutes +33%

We believe these are working as intended.